By: Kelly Tansor, Copy Editor (email@example.com)
During my four years in college – 2 in community college and 2 at UIC – I’ve learned many valuable life lessons. These are lessons that go beyond the classroom. My experiences outside of class have taught me more about life, love, family, and friendships than any textbook, teacher, or class discussion could have ever taught me. Here are just a few of them.
1. Don’t let your guard down too easily.
2. Admit when you’re wrong.
3. If you have something to say, say it.
4. If you think for even one second that something is a bad idea, chances are it probably is.
5. There is nothing wrong with admitting you need help.
6. Find at least one form of stress relief.
7. Never underestimate the power of a good night’s sleep.
8. “Me time” is great, just don’t use it too much.
9. Never compare yourself to others. Ever.
10. Question everything.
11. Find something you are passionate about.
12. Never lose yourself in another person.
13. Stay in shape.
14. In school, have at least one person to talk to in each class.
15. Know your faults, but don’t deny your strengths.
16. Avoid name-calling, swearing, and generalizing during arguments – focus on the issue at hand.
17. Know basic money-management skills. Debt is no fun…
18. Get a hobby. It’s good for your mental health.
19. There is a fine line between being understanding and being a pushover. Find it.
20. Don’t give your work number to your friends.
21. Slow down. Enjoy life at your own pace.
22. Always look at things through multiple perspectives, not just your own.
23. Your parents are probably right about that boy or girl you are dating.
24. That voice in your head saying “you’re not good enough” won’t go away until you stop listening to it.
25. Don’t let one experience dictate all others.
26. If yesterday sucked, make today better.
27. Love is an extremely powerful tool.
28. Not everyone is going to like you – and that’s okay!
29. The majority of your worries are all in your head.
30. Don’t ever feel chained down by your past.
31. Try not to turn down invitations to be with friends.
32. Cancer is not a death sentence.
33. Know more than one route to your favorite places.
34. Nobody in their early twenties has their whole life together, so don’t feel bad if you don’t.
35. Never go through old messages with people you don’t talk to anymore.
36. Leave the past in the past, where it belongs.
37. Stay off the Internet when you’re angry. Also, stay away from hair salons while you’re at it…
38. You never really know someone until you meet them at a bar.
39. When it comes to gossip, news, research, etc., consider the source.
40. You are never too old for kids’ movies.
41. It is amazing what a change of attitude can do for you.
42. If you hang on to your anger long enough, you could be missing out on something special.
43. Keep an open mind to other people’s opinions.
44. Know when to speak up and when to shut up.
45. Allow yourself to be a tourist in your own city every now and then.
46. No hardship lasts forever.
47. Never leave home without your phone, wallet, keys, and ID. Especially if most bartenders don’t believe you’re over 21.
48. Call your parents every now and then. They put up with you for a long time, might as well show some appreciation.
49. You don’t stop learning after college.
50. Life is short, don’t mess it up.